Monday, February 12, 2007

The theory of uncertainty

Tiger: Hey you!
Monkey: Well, hello there funny face!
Tiger: When you look at me, what do you see?
Monkey: My very best friend and partner in drunken disarray?
Tiger: And...
Monkey: Big pointy teeth and a cute nose?
Tiger: Go on...
Monkey: Fur and bones...
Tiger: Is there anything else you take particular notice of?
Monkey: You took a bath? You're wearing a new set of stripes? You finally came out?
Tiger: Well, that's 66.666666666(whatever)% true.
Monkey: Now I'm worried. Tell me, what should I be noticing?
Tiger: Well, I'm a tiger right?
Monkey: Right...
Tiger: But what is a tiger really?
Monkey: One of mother earths beautiful creatures, born to be a killer and drink beer.
Tiger: True, but what is a tiger REALLY? And why is it called a tiger?
Monkey: I don't see your point, please enlighten me, oh divine invention.
Tiger: I'm just contemplating on the absurdity of accepting a fact without certainty.
Monkey: Well, isn't a fact just something that people accept for true unless there is reason to doubt it?
Tiger: So you're saying that a fact is a possible lie or mistruth, since it doesn't have to be proven with certainty to be accepted?
Monkey: I'm just saying that a fact should be judged by it's source and with a bit of common sense at first. Why doubt everything you hear?
Tiger: But how do you know what sources to trust?
Monkey: By previous experiences.
Tiger: So how do you know if what you hear is the truth when you hear it from a source previously untested by you?
Monkey: That depends on which state of drunken delusion I'm in...
Tiger: I think it all starts in ourselves. We all carry some sense of knowledge that we can relate new facts to. All that stuff is based on stuff that we've seen first hand, or read about. It seems that stuff you read is easier to believe since it''s experienced as a neutral source most of the time. I think it's because we can hear ourselves reading it out loud in our heads and therefore it's easier to accept.
Monkey: Yeah, I'm always in my own little world when I read. It's all about me and myself...
Tiger: And Mac Gyver, he is the truth.
Monkey: Amen...

No comments: